Friday, May 18, 2012

Race Preview - Fargo 13.1

I don't remember how we decided to do this race. I think my sister-in-law thought it would be a good idea. This is going to be my wife and sister-in-law's first half marathon. If I'm remembering correctly I wasn't going to run this race, as someone has to take care of the kids, but my mother-in-law is going to the race and will be watching the kids. I am really looking forward to running a race with my wife.

Race Info
The race is in Fargo ND, I've never been there so I don't know anything about that. The event is really a series of events. From a 5k the night before to a half marathon and full marathon run near the same time. They're also really good at building some hype. They have a cool video that goes over the entire course in a car in fast-forward.



They also suggest that they are just as cool as the rock-n-roll series and have bands at every mile.

Finally they say the course is super flat and therefore a good race for speed or accessibility. Overall I think it's going to be fun.

Goals
I've been going around in my head about how I should run this race. On the one hand I don't have a long run or race on the schedule, and my current focus in on the next big triathlon which is in three short weeks, and I didn't want to spend a few days recuperating from a hard run race. Then it occurred to me, in three weeks I will be running a half marathon at the END of a race. So I'm going to go for a new personal best because I don't think taking it easy is going to matter much. I did cut my long run this week a little short because of race. The current personal best is 1:57, that's a little under 9 minute miles. I am significantly faster this year than last year when I ran that race, so I'm going to make the goal 1:49 which puts the pace at 8:20. That's a cool 40 seconds per mile.


Closing Comments
I'm in a little bit of doubt that it's doable, I think the best I've run at for something close to that distance so far this year is not anywhere close to that, but it's a race, and it's easier to run faster during a race. So I'll be using the group to motivate me to meet my goals :)

I am looking forward to doing this race with my wife and her sister. It's no small accomplishment, and I'm very happy to be sharing it with them. My wife is turning into quite the runner. I've told her this before, but it bears writing. She looks like she was born to run, she looks like she's gliding along. The other day we caught up with her near the end of 11 miles, and she was cruising right along. She's going to do great, and I can't wait to see her cross the line!

No comments: