Friday, May 4, 2012

Race Preview - Chain Of Lakes Triathlon

Triathlon season is upon me once again. I've actually tried to get in this race twice before, but it always seems like it's sold out. This year they're closing registration about a week before the race. It seems like in previous years it was sold out weeks ahead of time. I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

Race Info
The race in in Alexandria where my wife's family is, it's about two or so hours north of where we live. So we'll be making a weekend of it.

The swim is in a pool, which is good because I'm sure lakes around here aren't the most fun to swim in (temperatures are still dipping into the high 30s at night.) This is my first pool swim in a triathlon, they say we'll be circle swimming with people who say they are close to your speed. The speed rang is sort of interesting though, I put myself down for 8-10 minutes, and I'm on the low end of that for 600 yards. But two minutes is a very long time in a 25 yard pool. If someone who is an 8 minute swimmer gets in with someone who is a 10 minute swimmer, the faster guy will lap the slower guy 4 times, slowing both people down. Don't get me wrong, I'll take a pool over a lake in May in Minnesota any day :)

The bike is a conservative 13 mile loop over roads and bike trail. The course looks pretty flat.


The run is 2.8 mile out loop. At least I think it's a loop, check this picture and you can be the judge.


Goals

GoalPace
Swim 600 yards8:001:20 per 100 yards
Bike 13 miles37:0021 miles/hour
Run 2.8 miles23:008:15 mins/mile
Total1:11:00

I added three minutes for transition which is fast for me. If I can handle that pace and the field is roughly the same as last year that will put me top 50 overall and top 15 in my age group.

Closing Comments
So here's the deal. I think this is doable at my current conditioning and comfort level. But I promised myself this year that I would, at least once, try to get out of my comfort zone and see how hard I can go before I crash and burn or if I can even push myself that far. This is the time. The downside to this plan, is if it fails I will crash hard and miss my original goal. But no risk, no reward right?

No comments: