Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 - A Year of Months

It's that time of year when people set goals. I have a bunch of triathlon related goals already established. But I figured that there is a lot of my life that isn't run/bike/swim ... even if it doesn't seem like it.So I came up with a goal a month for 2012

January
Eat breakfast every day. I've heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I skip it a lot because I love sleep and shower wins when I'm in a hurry. I'm going to try to keep this to actual "normal" breakfast foods. So I won't be picking up 30 breakfast bars at the grocery store today :)

February
Stretch every day. This has sort of become the joke between me and people who workout with me. I don't stretch... really ever. And I should. So a month of not skipping.

March 
Make sure I drink the recommended amount of water every day. It's one of those things that people say is part of good diet and being healthy means more playtime with the kids.

April 
Each Lunch. For those of you who spend significant amounts of time with me, you know, food ranks really low on my list of important things. There are many days I only eat one meal a day. So this month I will make a point to each lunch every single day. Again, I'll try to keep this to real food. So I won't be stopping at the store to pick up 30 Powerbars and calling those lunch.

May 
Seven hours of sleep a day (at least.) I like sleeping, but I like being awake at night more. So that usually means I get five hours a night during the week. Not ideal. A month of making sure I get to sleep earlier.

June 
A month of journaling. Since this is my journal, it's a month of blogging. I'm not expecting a masterpiece every day, but I will put something down.

July 
No sweets - I did this in December last year, but it's one of those things that I don't really want to kick totally, so I'll toss it on the list again this year.

August 
Read two books. This may sound like a really easy goal for some. But I haven't sat down to read a book for myself since high school. So two books in May. To prove it, I'll post book reports. I hope you like Ironman training notes :)

September 
No eating out. I did approve this with my wife since this really impacts the whole family. We probably eat out at least once a week, probably more.

October 
No pop. I love pop, I really love Mt. Dew, and when I get stressed pop is my comfort food. A month without, no excuses!

November 
A month of thanks. I will pick something to be thankful every single day and say it out load (or more likely write it down here in the form of a weekly post.)

December
ARK - A month of acts of random kindness. Every single day, choose something that will make someone smile that is beyond the every day niceness (so no cheating by just remembering to say thanks when someone hands me a pen when I ask for it.)

Any help you can give me will  be appreciated. For some things I'll need reminders and kind words and accountability!

No comments: