Thursday, June 2, 2011

May Training Notes

This month my totals look like this

DistanceTime
Swim 16,000 yards 6 hours
Bike 266 miles 15:40 hours
Run 61.5 miles 9:18 hours


Swim
The month marks the beginning of actually doing some swimming training. I started swimming with a group three times a week, and the results of that show in the total yardage. We average between 2,000 and 3,000 yards a morning, and my stamina and overall speed is coming along.

Bike
I've spent the most time biking, I'm trying to bring my overall speed up and I figure more time riding is the first step. If my memory serves me right, and I'd not be surprised to find out it's not, before I moved back to MN my mid-week rides would top out around 11 miles and I had just started doing longer weekend rides. I'm liking the group I've hooked up with, we do somewhere between 20 and 30 miles twice a week together, and then I try to get out one other time on the weekend, usually as part of a run/bike brick.

It looks like it's working - for May my average speed has been creeping up
Granted not all rides are over the same distance or same routes, but as an average I don't think it's super misleading.

I've tried to remember what the dip in that graph is from, I think it's a factor of the group ride. Our group can get pretty big, and we are supposed to average between 16-18. Most days it's close to 18, but some days the diversity of the group drives down the overall pace as we aim to not leave people behind. I was hesitant to make the jump to the next level, because they average 20+ and will not wait around if you can't keep up. But now there's an intermediate which will try to average 18-20 and will try not to drop people.

Run
My goal with the running is to just keep the mileage up and try to stay close to the same speed. I am by no means a fast runner, but compared to where I was two years ago it's the difference, literally, between walking and jogging. So if I can bring my bike speed up three to five miles per hour by just getting more miles in, I'll be happy to put running into maintenance mode for now.

No comments: